Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Reading...


.
Victoriana.com
.
Whatever do these pretty pictures above, have to do with my first book below, you may well ask. Well, not much I admit. Other than maybe, they look like people who would not have needed my first book selection. These Victorian ladies look like they have 'all the time in the world,' don't they? Ahhh yes...

But!

This was "upstairs"! "Downstairs," they didn't have 'all the time in the world.' No, "downstairs" was working hard to provide the leisure, for those "upstairs."

So........

Though we tend to think of now, as being the time of rush, rush, rush... And it is {or can be}, for all of us, now. It may help to remember that for many, "The Good Old Days" were not so "good," as we like to idealize them. Many worked long and hard, so some could be at ease.

OK, OK, the end of moralizing!!!

On to the book... 'Breathing Space.' The rest of the title says it all... 'Living and Working At a Comfortable Pace In A Sped-up Society'. The book is a bit old now. But of course, things have just gotten worse, in the last decade. Not better. We still need all the help we can get, and need it even more!

I won't go into details. If it sounds interesting, you can look for it. But the bare-bones of the message is... How to deal with feeling over-whelmed, deluged and exhausted. And it's not a time management book. He doesn't have a lot of use for those. I will take what sounds as if can fit, for me. And keep trying to take one day at a time. And in a lot more calm way. :-)


The next two books promise to be just plain fun! 'Cozy' mysteries. I love all things in a cozy British setting. The 'Mrs. Jeffries' books are Victorian mysteries. The 'Dorothy Martin mysteries' are more contemporary. It would be lovely if I liked one or both. Because there are so many in each series. :-)
.

And taking the time to sit and enjoy some cozy books, is one of the ways I can "fight back" at how the world tries to overstimulate me with information glut, and 'you must do's,' and buy-buy-buy-more-stuff stimulation. Yes! I will fight back. -giggles-