Monday, April 16, 2007

Books... Ideas...

With bad weather still lingering, I turned on the local tv stations to see if our local schools are to be closed. If so, we might have a couple of 'Grands' here with us, today. Locally the schools will be on a 2 hour delay. OK...
~
~
So then I surfed around some channels and happily, came on the Book TV Channel. Or whatever it's called. I seem to never fail to find a book, I want to read, when I happen on this place. And no different this early morning time. I did find one. I hope to be reading it soon.
~
~
I turned off the tv and finished my morning decaf and .... pondered a bit. :-) {Honest folks, I really do ponder on occasion. -smile- Even though my blog is mostly pretty pictures and pretty sentences.}
This book deals in part, with ideas. Ideas... The American Heritage Dictionary says of an idea... 'Something, such as a thought or conception, that potentially or actually exists in the mind as a product of mental activity.'
~
Seems simple enough. Seems that ideas would be something which we'd relish finding more of. More and more and more. Ideas we've had before. And ideas we'd not yet had. Old ideas. New ideas. Especially new ideas. Oh I love new ideas!
~
I love finding new ideas and 'chewing on them.' Taking the time to fully understand them. Rolling them around in my brain and eventually deciding whether I want to keep them, or not. It may take some time, to figure out for myself, whether my decision is Yes, No, or still Maybe. But I love the process.
~
'Twas not always thus. For my first 60 years, I was afraid to let new ideas into my mind. Afraid to allow myself to ponder certain recurring questions. Afraid to think for myself. And this realization is very hurtful to me, now. I now, can not imagine how I existed for my first 60 years. -sigh-
~
Thinking back on that long dark {for me} period, I fully appreciate my present freedom, to think. With much more appreciation I'm sure, than if I'd always had it. It seems to me, that we don't really appreciate what we have, when it's always been ours. And this too, is sad to me.
~
But it makes me so much more happy, to realize how my Grandchildren are being raised. With grounding, yes. Of course. It would be horribly cruel to raise children as totally *wild and free.* Life would be very difficult for them. But they are also being raised, with the expectation, that they will grow into thinking individuals. And this is taken for granted, to be their right.
~
But.... will they fully appreciate their good fortune?
I rather think they won't.
Unless.......
I remind them of it.
~
I know, not everyone agrees with my thoughts. And that's perfectly fine. Each of us, has our freedom. Glorious, wonderful freedom to come to our own conclusions.

And my saying my thoughts here, in no way suggests that everyone/anyone agree with me. In no way, do I attempt to tell anyone else, what they should or have to think.

But maybe, my entry will jog more of us, to ponder/appreciate the blessings of our freedom. Just a thought.. Just a thought....

On yet another late Winter morning.