Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Chance meetings and reminiscences...


I had to have fasting blood work this morning, early! There aren't many medical offices open at that time in the building, of course. When I was headed toward the exit, this young Naval man was entering and looking kind of lost. {This group of doctors offices handles service people from an area base, so you get used to seeing them, coming and going.} He asked me if I knew where he might be supposed to go, and was holding his papers. So I looked to see if there was a particular doctor's name on it. No, but he said he was there for a Deployment Medical. I told him of the only office I knew, to be open, and suggested he go there. Heidi would direct him, to where he should go. ~~~~~~~~~~ And then I asked to shake his hand. ~~~~~~~~~~ He looked kind of surprised but of course, offered his hand. Which I shook. And thanked him, for what he does. I'll carry his smile with me, all day long. ~~~~~~~~~~ Some Mother is missing him. And some young girl friend too, I'm sure... They would have loved to have those couple of minutes with him, which I had....

**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**

Sirens... You know, the kind which make a loud noise and everyone in the vicinity, can hear them. No, not Sea Sirens. ,-) Or pretty nymphs, luring young men to their doom. >,-) I just used these paintings, because they are a lot prettier than a picture of a plain ol' metal siren. Anyway, I was thinking, you don't hear sirens anymore.

^_^
When I was growing up, I
lived in a tiny mill town. And the mill always blew its siren, at noon. Everyone knew it was noon time, and time for a break and lunch. All the mill workers and everyone else in town knew. Which probably pretty well regulated life in the small town, now that I think of it. Everyone knew what high noon was, with or without a watch or a clock on the wall. And if everyone heard the same siren... And knew that everyone else heard it, too... And that meant that everyone was stopping for a lunch break... Then it's logical that not many bucked the trend. :-) And thus, the day was neatly divided between morning activities and afternoon ones, for everyone. ~~~~~~~~~~ But, I don't hear sirens anymore.

Actually when we first moved here {from only 13 miles away}, there was a noon time siren here as well. It was located on top of City Hall. But I don't even remember when that ceased. ~~~~~~~~~~ Plus, small places on the outskirts of the city, had their own Volunteer Fire Department. And they were called to the Fire House, by a siren. Different number of siren soundings for different places. You would count, when you heard the first one, and know where the fire was. Like in the really old days of a party {telephone} line. ~~~~~~~~~~ Each home had it's own number of rings, and you weren't *supposed* to pick up the phone, unless it was your number of rings. >,-)))

And now, I suppose all those volunteer duties are notified, via cell phones. Although you still sometimes do hear a distant siren and that's probably the Wilton Fire Dept. But now, everyone has a clock on the wall and a watch on the wrist, to know what time of day it is. And everyone does meals, at their own time. Or when they can. Not mid day, when they {probably} need to. ~~~~~~~~~~ Plus, there is no uniformity of work hours anymore, anyway. Night time doesn't have to mean sleep time, nor day time mean work time. People do everything, at all sorts of hours in the 24. A noon-time-lunch-break siren would be kind of useless these days. ~~~~~~~~~~ And so it goes. Who's to say which was/is *better*? But I'm glad I can remember back to a different time. Just for the fun of it. Just to write things like this, on my modern day computer. And send these words out, around the world, with the click of a key. ~~~~~~~~~~ Which is pretty neat in itself, when I come to think of it. :-))) No, I'm not entirely *moaning* for the Old Days. :-)


Nearly finished reading The Book Of Bright Ideas
last night. I've been reading it and thought I might finish... But it was going on 1AM and I had to be up for an early blood draw and... Well, I got to a pre-conclusion and quit. 20 pages to go. :-) In which all the various plot threads will be sorted out and sewn together. I think it was
Vee, who mentioned this book on her blog. But I don't remember exactly where I read of different books, so maybe it wasn't her. {She can tell me, after she recovers from her present tooth pain issues. -sigh- Poor thing!!! -sigh-} ~~~~~~~~~~ Anyway, it's quite the interesting read. As I see it, the theme is how children can be influenced happily or unhappily, by adults of their childhood. And how these influences can stay with them, all through life. Unless something happens to 'wake them up,' as it were. Unless someone comes along and intervenes. Heavy meaning, in a sometimes light hearted book. It's one summer, in the lives of 2 young girls and their families... ~~~~~~~~~~ And a great thing about the plot... I'd think I knew where the story line was heading. And... I'd be surprised. That's good. I don't want to be able to see an author telegraph her moves, ahead of time.

Hope your dental issues went well,
Vee.

**~~~**~~~**
Lovely site for Art

**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**