My calendar says that the Autumnal Equinox is on September 23rd this year. It moves around a bit, for some astrological reasons. But it's usually around this time. I love to celebrate the changing of the Seasons and pay attention to them. The wheel of the year turns and we have to turn with it. :-) No, not nearly as much as ancient peoples did, have to! When it gets colder, we can keep inside warm homes, or travel in warm cars, to warm places of work, shopping and etc. No longer do we have to grow and preserve all the staples we will use, during the cold no-growing months. Nor do our men folk have to set out on Autumn hunts, to provide us with protein for the long, cold Winter.
But maybe it does pay to notice... To remember how it used to be... And to learn to be a wee bit more grateful for our own living conditions of this century. We tend to take so much for granted. It might help to stop and realize how lucky we are.
The Autumnal Equinox represents a turning point from Summer to Fall, during which the themes of balance and equality are once again evident. The crops that have been ripening during the Summer, now come to fruition. Perhaps we can make time for some quiet in our lives... To reflect on what harvest time means. And to integrate some of its components into our lives. In Spring, we feel like 'sowing.' In Autumn our mind turns to 'reaping' and gathering in the fruits of our labor. Although in this day, most of us don't do that much real food sowing, reaping and putting away. Some do and I salute them. But I'm afraid that most of us have to make the time, and stretch our imaginations some, to use this symbolism, for our own life ponderings. So, how to get in the mood for doing this?

Well, a lot of us already decorate our homes for Autumn. With Fall colors and dried corn hangings and dried flower arrangements, and live Autumn colored flowers, and Autumn colored candles, and etc. {Shhh, don't tell, but this I have yet to do and I've got to get going!}

I so wish I could get in the habit of a family dinner celebration, when Seasons change. I did this before and it was fun. Since this is a Harvest Time, you can use traditional foods for the dinner. There could be Corn Bread, Apple-Walnut Stuffed Mushrooms, Spicy Squash Puree, Vegetables in Chestnut Cream Sauce, Sherry Apple Pork Chops or Beef Tenderloin With Cognac Sauce, Pecan Pie, {and if lucky enough to be able to find some} Black Current Mead, or Hard Apple Cider. Or, like we had to make-do with... Beer. ,-)
Is anyone hungry yet???????!!!!!?????? -giggles- I am!!!!!
Naturally, the cooking load is shared, by all. Choose a menu and let family pick out what they want to make and bring. And someone brings the Mead, Cider or Beer, and some plain Apple Cider for the kids.
I think it's time I started talking this plan up!!! Kind of *soften* everyone up, ahead of time. They don't always think that Nana's ideas are super-great, at first. In fact, they usually don't thing they are great at all. ,-) But if I keep at it, they come around and along. :-) *Kicking and screaming* some but... Hey, who could turn their nose up at such a yummy dinner, when it's on the table, hu???


Well, a lot of us already decorate our homes for Autumn. With Fall colors and dried corn hangings and dried flower arrangements, and live Autumn colored flowers, and Autumn colored candles, and etc. {Shhh, don't tell, but this I have yet to do and I've got to get going!}

I so wish I could get in the habit of a family dinner celebration, when Seasons change. I did this before and it was fun. Since this is a Harvest Time, you can use traditional foods for the dinner. There could be Corn Bread, Apple-Walnut Stuffed Mushrooms, Spicy Squash Puree, Vegetables in Chestnut Cream Sauce, Sherry Apple Pork Chops or Beef Tenderloin With Cognac Sauce, Pecan Pie, {and if lucky enough to be able to find some} Black Current Mead, or Hard Apple Cider. Or, like we had to make-do with... Beer. ,-)
Is anyone hungry yet???????!!!!!?????? -giggles- I am!!!!!
Naturally, the cooking load is shared, by all. Choose a menu and let family pick out what they want to make and bring. And someone brings the Mead, Cider or Beer, and some plain Apple Cider for the kids.
I think it's time I started talking this plan up!!! Kind of *soften* everyone up, ahead of time. They don't always think that Nana's ideas are super-great, at first. In fact, they usually don't thing they are great at all. ,-) But if I keep at it, they come around and along. :-) *Kicking and screaming* some but... Hey, who could turn their nose up at such a yummy dinner, when it's on the table, hu???