

Last night... husband, son and a friend spent around our table... Each on a laptop... Doing the 'Fantasy Football Game' game-thing. It was the time to make their picks, for their participation in this year's 'Fantasy Football.' Do I know anything about this? Nope. :-) But sons say it's fun and husband got talked into doing it, this Season. :-)
In olden times, I guess they would have spent a Saturday night, playing checkers by the pot-bellied stove in the village grocery-dry goods store. The game set up on top of the pickle barrel. :-)
And I spent the evening, in the den.... Instant Messaging with a friend in another state... While listening to the Police short wave on my scanner.
In olden times, I suppose I'd have spent the evening rocking on the front porch, knitting for the coming Winter and listening to the night sounds like the crickets and peepers.
In the electronic age, we all moved to our electronic toys. But we were still making contact with friends and having an enjoyable few hours.
And for me, listening to the Police scanner had the added benefit of making me glad we were home. Our city is cram-full of tourists and it also seemed to cram-full of various law breakers, on Saturday night. But ~ silly people ~ don't they know that our Police are on the job! Fully! Our Police have had years and years and years of this full-city-in-August-Racing-Season. They are on the ball.
And the poor Police this morning, are going all over, trying to locate a car for some {may I say jerk?} gentleman who seems to have *lost* it, last night. I say this because I keep hearing the dispatcher say... "He says try this place and that place, because he was in those places, at times, last night." Jolly. Bahh-humbug. And now that they found it, they have to call the owner's cell phone and tell him. Wonder if the Police Benevolent Assoc. will get a donation, from this {may I say jerk?} gentleman???
Averyl's Attic
In olden times, I guess they would have spent a Saturday night, playing checkers by the pot-bellied stove in the village grocery-dry goods store. The game set up on top of the pickle barrel. :-)
And I spent the evening, in the den.... Instant Messaging with a friend in another state... While listening to the Police short wave on my scanner.
In olden times, I suppose I'd have spent the evening rocking on the front porch, knitting for the coming Winter and listening to the night sounds like the crickets and peepers.
In the electronic age, we all moved to our electronic toys. But we were still making contact with friends and having an enjoyable few hours.
And for me, listening to the Police scanner had the added benefit of making me glad we were home. Our city is cram-full of tourists and it also seemed to cram-full of various law breakers, on Saturday night. But ~ silly people ~ don't they know that our Police are on the job! Fully! Our Police have had years and years and years of this full-city-in-August-Racing-Season. They are on the ball.
And the poor Police this morning, are going all over, trying to locate a car for some {may I say jerk?} gentleman who seems to have *lost* it, last night. I say this because I keep hearing the dispatcher say... "He says try this place and that place, because he was in those places, at times, last night." Jolly. Bahh-humbug. And now that they found it, they have to call the owner's cell phone and tell him. Wonder if the Police Benevolent Assoc. will get a donation, from this {may I say jerk?} gentleman???
Averyl's Attic