Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Midsummer Night's Eve


I had this {above} picture for years, before I learned that its title is
'Midsummer Eve, c.1908' by
Edward Robert Hughes.

I love to notice the changing of the Seasons. Maybe one reason is, because I love to live in whatever Season is here and now. Hardly ever longing for a another, until it comes. Well, when our last Winter seemed to drag on and on and on, I admit. I did get anxious for it to be over. But usually, I stay contented
during the playing out of most Seasons.

And of course, I know that 'Midsummer Night's Eve' brings Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' to mind. Which may be a bit troubling to some, who read here. Faeries and magic and all... To each his/her own, of course. But I love Faeries. I like to say that Fireflies are Faeries. :-) And the glow-at-night-from-sunlight lanterns in the garden,
we call them Faerie Lanterns. :-)



I like my Grandchildren to dream that they might come across a Faerie Baby, some time in Summer. Like the illustration above.


One Midsummer Night's Eve, the Grandchildren and I made crowns of entwined
'Queen Ann's Lace'...

And they dressed up in some play things and danced around,
to some of the music from the soundtrack from the 1999 film.
They did this, as an entertainment for family.


And the next year, they did their own *production,* after family dinner. I can't do anything with them this year, because we have a previous commitment. :-(
But I am playing the CD of the sound track today. :-)


So however you want to note the coming of Summer,
I wish you a Happy Midsummer's Eve.
Maybe if you look out in the moonlight tonight,
maybe you'll see some Faeries playing...
using a mushroom for a carousel. :-)