Monday, April 23, 2007

Washing Day


Only two people in the house now... You'd think we could keep up with laundry, wouldn't you? But it seems, we can't. It's always getting to.... "Eeeeek no towels!" Or to "Eeeeek no undies!" Etc. ~~~~ So, I decided we'll try going back to the old fashioned way. Monday, Wash Day. Get it all caught up on Monday.
.
Now, does this mean that we can get all the way to next Monday, without any more in the washing machine/dryer? I doubt it. There's sure to be something that needs doing, before a week is up. And of course, laundry is so easy to do, these days. Washer and dryer at the ready, at all times. ~~~~ No, I don't hang out to dry. Yes, I know it smells lovely. I'm 70. I certainly remember hanging washing out to dry in the backyard. :-) ~~~~ Once upon a time, there were long lines strung from the back of my childhood home, way up to the garage, at the back of the lot. I say UP, because due to the hills on which our village was built, there was a work shop on bottom floor {accessed from yard} and garage on top. Accessed by a long set of stairs, for walking. And by car, from the back alley.
Ohhhh what a lovely word! Alley! :-) Honest! To me, it is a lovely word. I love alleys. Love them!!!! They are so old fashioned. No one builds, with them in mind, anymore. But heavens! They used to be everywhere. Needed. Useful. Just a part of life. Now -sigh- you have to seek them out. If they are still left. Which I love to do. Seek them out around my city. They are still there! Happily! ~~~~ Love 'em! Don't know exactly why. They aren't particularly "pretty." Never were.
Useful was what they were, and still are.

Ahhhh, I know what a big part of their allure for me, is! They give a peek into the back yard life of homes. Yes! Of course!!!! Our front yards are sort of 'all curb appeal.' Neat and ready-for-company sort of look, to them. Out back, we can relaxxxxxxxxx. Put our feet up. Leave a few odds and ends lying around. The 'yard sale' find that we *just know* we
will re-do, eventually. The plants in need of planting. The this and the that of real living in a home. ~~~~ That's it! I want a peek at the real living. And that was always best found, by a stroll up the alley. :-)
.The picture above ~ makes you wonder if the lady of the home didn't have an alley behind her. But of course she must have had one. There must have been access to the back, even though via a very, very narrow street perhaps. So why the laundry hung out front? Well, if she had a large family, and I'm sure she did.... She probably had all available lines out back, already in use. Running between her windows and the windows of the lady across the alley. :-) Neighbors sharing, in the most basic way. None of that 'not-knowing-neighbors-names' in those circumstances. In those days, neighbors knew all. And were right there, to help, in time of need. No wondering if they should just pay no attention? Or wondering if offers of help, would be gladly accepted? Of course it was! Everyone helped one another. That was just the way it was. ~~~~ Rather lovely that, yes? -sigh-
.Today, many of us tend to live in our own little bubble. Individual homes are truly "individual castles." Don't approach unless the drawbridge is obviously down. Wouldn't want to catch anyone, at an awkward moment... With dishes in the sink, grumpy children under foot, and toys alllll over, etc., etc.
.
And I'm just as much this way, as the next person is. Having family as next door neighbors, does make the immediate situation different. We still come and go, without a preliminary phone call. But as to other neighbors... Nope, I'd never think of just 'dropping by.' Nor do I like it, in return. -sigh- Yes, I'm just as 'modern' as the next person, in this way. And maybe this, is more's the pity.

I well remember a different way of life. When neighbors/friends did pop in and out. And no one worried about dishes in the sink or laundry waiting to be folded or dust. I remember when those things, were the farthest things from the minds of the grown ups.

And I think I lost something, along the way...

But then, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...

Or in earlier years, remembered...

Remembered often, through some form of "rose colored glasses." :-)
.

All Posters.com