Saturday, September 13, 2008

The morns are _darker_ than they were...! :-)


Hello Dear Reader... Thank you so much for stopping by!

Emily Dickinson said; "The morns are meeker than they were..." And I say that the morns are darker than they were. :-)

When I come down, early in the morning now, there is a distinct need for electric lights. While it's just me down here, I love to put on what I call ambiance lights. Like the fake Tiffany lamp above. Which casts a pretty light-shadow on the ceiling above it.

Believe me, it was there. Even if you can't see it well, in my photo.

And other lights which give a soft and yellowish light, something like candle light. The tiny lights under the kitchen cabinets and the small lamp on the kitchen counter, which my husband made from a Mason canning jar, and etc. These lights don't really give much illumination but... By now, I know my "first thing in the morning routine" by heart, and I don't really have to seeeeee all that clearly. :-)

It reminds me of what Tasha Tudor said about old houses being dark. And that she liked it that way, since it reminded her of a cozy chipmunk's nest. I just love that! But I only prefer this effect, in the very early morning and at twilight and evening. During the main part of the day, I need Nature's light streaming in, as much as possible.

It was feeling a bit more like Autumn around here. But then it warms up and I still need some 'push' to get into the Autumn Nesting/Baking Feeling. Did make Banana Nut Bread last evening. {My husband loves to have a piece of that, for breakfast.} And I put Indian Corn up on the front door. And got a ceramic white pumpkin for the mantle. {Ceramic, so this little pumpkin won't deteriorate in a few weeks, as the real ones always do} :-) But I'll still get a few tiny regular pumpkins and squash for the mantle.

But I needed more 'push.' So.....


Some Autumn-y books came into the library for me. :-) I especially love Susan Branch's books, for getting me into the Season, any Season. The Halloween book is pushing the Season but it has a cute idea for decorated Sugar Cookies in it. And the green book is not a picture book... but it looks like it will have nice reading on the topic of Autumn. Yes, and even some children's books. :-) I take inspiration, where ever I can find it! :-)

And I can't close this entry, without saying that my heart goes out to all those people who are suffering in the path of hurricane Ike.

May all of us who can, enjoy the rest of our weekend.

Gentle hugs,
Miss Mari-Nanci

Pic Source

**~~~*
~~~**~~~*~~~**~~~*~~~**~~~*~~~**