Sunday, September 28, 2008

Calling 'Aunt Bee'...

Hello Dear Reader, and thank you much, for stopping by.

Do you recognize that sweet lady, whose picture is above? She's "Aunt Bee" of the old tv show "The Andy Griffith Show." A very warm and sweet tv character. Eve
posted an entry the other day and it really set me off on an "Aunt Bee binge." If one can actually go on a *binge,* when it concerns Aunt Bee, that is. :-)))


To quote Eve; "I think a lot of us yearn for a place, full of family life, gentle ways, raising vegetables in our own garden, visiting with friends over the fence, movies on a Saturday night and a trip at noon to the local cafe where you meet friends for lunch...." A place where they have band concerts on the Town Green, and county fairs, and Blue Ribbons for the best pie, and quilting contests, etc. A place to live the simple life, as it was lived in "Mayberry."

But there isn't much of that simple life left, for most of us. Some strong people do still live it, because it's totally their life choice. And they never really looked at any
other way. But I wonder if some of Living The 'Simple Life,' is sort of "trying-something-on." Because it sounds neat and has been 'the rage,' at one time or another. Perhaps more to be "different," than as a way of true choice of life style. Which is neither here nor there...


But, I wonder {as did Eve} how to keep some of that Simple Life Style alive in our modern lives? Guess we don't have to go the whole way. Guess we can choose some things, to incorporate into our life. Without going "the whole 9 yards." I'm trying to bake more 'from scratch.' Not that big a deal, I know...

Because baking 'from scratch' isn't a stretch, for many women. But other than my
home made Pie Crust, I've always been happy to go the easy way, just as much as the next gal. You know... Like with the Dump Cake... It's a cake mix. Not a made from scratch cake, which makes it so simple and quick. Which is fine. I'm not knocking any of the yummmmmy things which can be made by doctoring up mixes and done quickly and are a joy to eat.

But... When I read the list of ingredients on packages of cookies we buy, for the Grand kid's treats... And see all those things which one would never include in something, made in our own kitchen... It makes me feel bad. Don't I have enough time now, to make some realllllllllll cookies?


And I did make some totally real Chocolate Chip Cookies, and they swooned! They loved them! They want more of them! Biggggg Chocolate Chip Cookies with a cup of butter in them. -Eeeek!- No wonder they swooned! Oh and both regular sugar and Brown sugar. Yummm... Or so I was told. I didn't eat any. Better that I not have any, since chocolate is very bad for various parts of my tummy.

But I wonder how much contribution to living the Simple Life, some home made cookies and desserts add up to? :-)))) Well, we each do what we can. :-)

Gentle hugs,
Miss Mari-Nanci

{Pic Source}