Sunday, December 31, 2006

Contemeplation, on the last day of the year....

Early morning is breaking. The last day of the year. A time for contemplation...

I don't make New Year's Resolutions. Never did. But New Year's Eve Day is a time to at least contemplate.

Yesteday my 'lower regions' told me it was time to get serious again, about my healthy eating and daily exercise.
And to eat only those foods which agree with my 'lower regions.' In retrospect, a good wake-up call. I've fallen way off my good intentions of not long ago. -sigh- So this would seem to be the perfect time to take a close look at them, again.

Why do I {again} contemplate being devoted to healthy eating and daily exercise? For vanity? Not in the way a younger woman would. I know I'll never have my "even-at-50-shape" back again. :-) It's not 'in the cards,' for this time of my life. But I could feel better, when I catch my reflection in a mirror. Any change would do that for me! Sooo, yes I guess I can chalk up vanity, as a little purpose. {Every purpose helps!!!}

Health? Oh yes!!!! Oh Yes!!!! Naturally! Health! At my age, health has to be the highest on the list! Health goes hand-in-hand with Quality of Life. Who, in their right mind, wouldn't find these two things, an incentive?!? Human beings seek joy and try to avoid pain, by their nature. Feeling as good as is possible, and having the best quality of life, as possible, would seem to top the list of any human's wishes.

No, we can't 'just change,' and thus put all our health issues behind us. But {it seems} we can try to help, in that department. Try to incorporate into our lives, that which medical science and common sense {and what our own body tells us} will be helpful toward our optimum health and feeling well. Whatever that state may be for us, as individuals.

Better emotional and mental health? {Or whatever each person terms these things...} Yes! I know daily exercise gives me a smile on my lips and a general feeling of pride and well being. I know I'm happier when I eat what I should, and only to the point of satisfaction. I know that not attempting to put those things into my life, has a dragging-down-effect. Sometimes to a small extent and sometimes, to a larger extent.

Soooo, seems I have three good reasons for change. Seems that making these changes, would be personally wise and helpful to my general well being.

Then................ Comes the commitment to change.

And after the commitment, comes how I treat myself when/if I 'fall down' on my plan.

Ahh yes! When and if. Because being human, I know I will not carry out of my commitments perfectly. Sooo.... how do I handle these eventualities?

By 'beating myself up' and feeling guilt and becoming depressed enough, to throw out all my good intentions? Nope!

By accepting my humanity and simply, quietly, without angst or guilt..... returning to what I know will make me the happiest in the long run... to my commitments to good change. Return. Simply return. No worry. No guilt. No angst. Just return.

Well, that sounds good! :-))) And I have all day to mull it over. To see if I 'have it in me' to really work on this, this time. Because, though guilt over failure is not on my plate, desire to change has to be.

Wishing you well with whatever form of New Year's contemplation, you choose. Or with none, if that be your choice. We are always individuals. And isn't that wonderful?!?