Sunday, October 29, 2006

Memories, brought on by switching back to 'Nature's Time'


[Disclaimer: This photo is not of my family]

Yes, we're back on 'Nature's Time'!!! -smile- Which always brings to mind, a family memory.


My Great Aunt Josie was known to lament the coming of Daylight Savings Time, each Spring. She said she'd never be the same again, until the clocks switched back, in the Fall. :-) I love that family anecdote.


I loved my Great Aunt Josie. I loved to visit her house. I well remember her and Uncle Bill [we didn't use the technically correct term of 'Great Aunt/Uncle'] and their little and quite primitive home, by the creek. Where the outhouse was built right out over the creek and looked very scary to a little girl. Needless to say, I never used it!


And a sort of a well, down in the 'back entry.' And then, a long set of stairs up to the main living area. Where an old wood-burning kitchen cooking stove, took up most of the kitchen area. An old radio sat on a table in the tiny sitting room, between kitchen and front room. I remember it as being - where Uncle Bill listened to the news. And in the front room, old photos of ancestors, hung on the walls. And the best part, for me.... a long side table with a pull out drawer, full of random photographs.


I'd sift through them and find ones of my Aunt Josie, as a little girl. Fascinating! To see this lady, who had always been 'an old lady' to me.... see her standing with other girls, in a pretty dress, and long curls and a big bow in her hair. Fascinating!!!!

I wish I could say that I still had those photos and could look at them again, today. But no. -sigh- When their parents died, their sons were so bereft and clue-less that they had a junk man come and clean out the house, before it was sold. -shakes head- How did my Mother not ask to save some things??? She was closer to the younger son, than to her own brother. How? Why?


Because she was always sweet and never over-bearing or interfering. -sighhhhhhhhh-


My heart aches for those photo legacies of my past. Loved when young. Only a memory now. Never to be shown to my children or grandchildren or passed on down through the family. I ache, when remembering these things.... -sigh-